Santa Cruz Open Streets Thanks You!
MISSION: Santa Cruz Open Streets fosters individual and community health through creative use of public space.
First Santa Cruz Open Streets a Huge Success!
Thousands of people came to the first-time Santa Cruz Open Streets event on Sunday, October 7, 2012 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. West Cliff Drive was filled with happy, smiling people of all ages on bicycle, foot, skates, scooters and more. The atmosphere was festive with music, dance, fun activities and information booths – all with the purpose of promoting active, healthy and sustainable life-styles.
Event founder and director, Saskia Lucas, was thrilled with the turn-out and over-whelming positive community response. About the event, she said, “People kept saying, ‘We have to do this again. Can we do it on a regular basis?’ Clearly the community wants more safe public spaces for getting out and being active together. The community is hungry for more Open Streets.”
Thank you to all the volunteers, sponsors, partnering organizations and elected leaders which contributed to help make the event such an overwhelming success.
Event organizers are already working on plans for future Open Streets events. To support more events, please sign up to be on the email contact list, be a volunteer and make a donation. If everyone pitches in a little bit, we can have more Open Streets!
Santa Cruz Open Streets Goals :
- Create new public spaces and opportunities for safe, free, active recreation
- Improve community health through active living
- Promote environmentally friendly living practices
- Foster community connection and civic pride
- Provide a memorable, fun and unique experience to participants
- Spark ideas for creative use of public space that fosters a more livable community
- Promote local businesses and eco-tourism